Camaro Forum at Firstgens.com

A Community of car guys and their Camaros Camaro restorartion camaro performance pro touring camaros drag racing camaros
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:17 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: starter and flywheel
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:53 am 

First Name: mike
hi,first post and may be my only one as I don't own a Camaro(have owned 2 in the past).I have come on here to pick your brain,might as well go to the source that will probably have an answer. I own a 69 vette that I brought with a 68 327 engine(32yrs ago)out of a 68 Camaro(200 hp). I've had the starter rebuilt 3 times(1st time lasted 20+ years) the last 2 rebuilds were garbage.The rebuilds were supposed to be rebuilt to427 specs for my engine with 11 to 1 compression. The reason for keeping that starter is no shims were needed and I have an old steel chevy bellhousing on it, the kind with the pan on the bottom that comes down with 4 bolts and you can see the clutch. I also used the 12 inch fly wheel. Now the issue, I always thought I had the 168 tooth fly wheel but when I called the Summit tech line the guy said I probably had a 153 tooth fly wheel as that's what the Camaros came with. I've never taken the #s off the fly wheel as I never gave it a second thought. So I'm asking for your thoughts on this info I've gotten from Summit so I can just order a new starter. I'd hate to have to drop the pan and count the teeth as I'd have to turn the engine over by hand which means pulling the plugs which in itself is a pain. Putting a breaker bar on the damper and turning it than going under the car,marking it,getting back up and turning some more,etc doesn't appeal to me either.(no lift). So any input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance,Mike

Post subject: Re: starter and flywheel
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:28 pm 

First Name: Bessie
An easy visual check is the starter mounting bolts.
A 153 flywheel has one long bolt and one short bolt for mounting to block.
The 168 flywheel has two long bolts mounting to block.
Heavy duty starters, both models, have a copper spacer between the solenoid and field winding terminal on the motor.
Always use the front starter brace preventing starter nose breakage.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:00 pm 

thank you for your response,I jacked it up today (12/13/17) and noticed it had staggered bolt holes. I'll probably pull it down tomorrow. It's a bitch when you have to work on your back,I get ajada(upset stomach when I lay on my back too long)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:05 am 

Yes, I forgot the bolt pattern, Over 40 Thing.
158 bolts are straight in line
168 bolts are staggered.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:20 pm 

Thank you so much for that info.The bolts are staggered Now I can order a starter knowing it has a 168 tooth flywheel.I pulled it down today and got some no#'s off of it.I did a search but couldn't nail it down to a vehicle,maybe I'm lacking in my search knowledge,well here they are,(I thought it was off a 68 camaro) Delco remi 1109065 1027 4.If you can figure it out I would apprreciate it,but the most help you have already given me. Thanks again,Mike p.s. it has the copper bar on it

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:46 pm 

A search was this: http://www.autopartoo.com/oem/delco-rem ... 65vq2.html and since no spacer between solenoid and motor, this starter would be a Light Duty
Another one is this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delco-Remy-110 ... 1818811224
And this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delco-Remy-sta ... 100623.m-1

So, help yourself.
My other suggestion, since starter does not have shims between it and the block, when you get the new starter, swap nose pieces - the item getting bolted to the block.
This swap will keep the starter engagement the same and not need shims in perfecting alignment.
Some rebuilders machine the nose piece and thus shimming is required.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:31 pm 

thanks for the info on the nose,never thought of doing that.I ordered the starter from Summit,Power Master,they seem to have good reviews. I'll let you know how I make out. Mike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 pm 

Since you are changing over to an aftermarket starter, the new hookup does not provide a circuit for ign power in START position.
You can do one of two suggestions:
1. Since '68 ign switch, check with meter or test light, the coil + terminal
If voltage is present without the yellow wire connected, then you would be good to go.
A PO may have swapped in a '67 ign switch and from my experience, '67 ign switch does not provide ign power in ASTART position like a '68 ign switch.
2. If no power, then you connect a diode, P/N can be researched, and connect the Anode end of diode WITHOUT the line on the end, to S terminal, and connect the yellow wire to the Cathode end, the end with the line, then connect the yellow wire up top to the coil + terminal.
3. It might be easier to swap out '67 ign switch for a '68 switch.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:19 pm 

the power master has the same hookup and wiring as my 69,it's the o.e.m. one. Well it's up there now so we'll see what happens. I'm probably going to try it 12/26 as I'm kind of busy now. Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:10 pm 

Old nose worked out good,cranks over hot,hopefully I'm done with starter issues.Thanks again for the help. Mike