Camaro Forum at Firstgens.com

A Community of car guys and their Camaros Camaro restorartion camaro performance pro touring camaros drag racing camaros
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:51 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Interior Removal
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:48 am 

First Name: John
Hey all. I need to at a minimum replace the carpet and door panels on my 68 Camaro convertible. I have read up on how to remove the center console, but no idea on how the rear seat and panels are removed.

Thanks,
BH

Post subject: Re: Interior Removal
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:58 am 

First Name: John
Found this on first gen Firebird site. I'm posting for others who are new to this, like I am. Now to find information on those rear panels for a convertible.

First, position front seat seatbacks in the forward position (torward the dash), climb into the back seat facing the rear of the car with your back almost resting on the front seatbacks. This will give you leverage to push the rear seat. Push the rear seat straight back torwards the trunk approx. 1-2 inches, keep tension on it and then while still pushing lift up on the front of the rear seat (only need to lift up approx 1 inch also) and start releasing the pressure that you are applying to the back (torwards the trunk). You will feel the front of the seat start to lift up and out (out meaning moving torwards the front of the car). If you cannot get it the first time, try doing each side of the seat at a time. There are two brackets on the floor that holds the front of the seat to the floor, one on either side. The brackets are closer to the sides of the car, it is sometimes easier to release one at a time. After the seat is released from the brackets, it will just pull out. Once it is out, take notice of how the brackets hold the seat in for future removal if necessary.

Once you get the bottom out you will see two large screws that hold the back on. They go through some wire loops and on to the back. Take those off and you can lift the back up and out.

BH

Post subject: Re: Interior Removal
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:55 am 
Global Moderator

First Name: Jeff
you may find two tabs at the outside corners that need to be bent out to get the seat out. I don't remember for sure as my current project has a fold down seat and the back is completely different.