Camaro Forum at Firstgens.com

A Community of car guys and their Camaros Camaro restorartion camaro performance pro touring camaros drag racing camaros
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:10 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:53 pm 

First Name: Jeremy
Hi All,

I have wanted a Camaro since I was like 10 years old. I have never really looked for one because until now I knew I could not afford one. Well I sold my Jeep yesterday and have a wad of cash and want to fulfill that boyhood dream finally.

That said I am shocked at the SoCal Camaro Sceen, it seems full of Tribute or Clones of awesome cars that people want $60K for. I know what a 69 Z\28 is and it did not have a 350 so why call yours a Z\28 and try to get a boatload for it, just call it a nice Camaro.

Anyway, so I have about $22K to spend and I have found a few nice examples out of state but I am paranoid about flying to buy a car that I have never seen with my own eyes. I plan to fly to say Las Vegas for example, buy a car and drive it back to SoCal.

So to the question that suits this topic, is a 69 with no Rust and otherwise just stock standard camaro with factory AC a good deal or should I keep looking? From the photos, the paint is good and the seller assures me that the car is solid and 100% dependable and working.

Thoughts, Advice, things to ask when buying a car out of state? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments:
00N0N_lr0ZpE9cgc3_600x450.jpg
00N0N_lr0ZpE9cgc3_600x450.jpg [ 55.68 KiB | Viewed 940 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:53 am 
Global Moderator

First Name: Jeff
I think it's hard to judge off of one picture but here's my .02.
I don't like the stripe at all, needs a repaint at some point.
The suspension needs work, I think the front sits too high compared to the back.
Assuming the interior is good
I'd like to own it for $20k but I don't think you'll find one much better at this price point ($22k)
If it has power steering and power disc brakes that adds value to me. There are some other options that would increase it's desirability as well, it just depends on the car overall..

AS far as driving one home... I took mine on a 1400 mile round trip a week after I got it together. I had just rebuilt the front end and pretty well knew the car front to rear. I was an auto mechanic at the time and took a few tools for the break down that never happened.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:24 pm 
Administrator

First Name: Don
I am going to be a bit negative. Don't think of this as a lottery where you can win a "dream car" Go planning to have to negotiate or turn the deal down. At inspection time bring a magnet and check the obvious spots, fender wells, trunk drop offs, rockers, etc. The floor is tough unless you can get under the car, carpet hides a lot. Rust on the top of the dash in the corners is a pain to fix. The suspension is usually shot, cracked control arm bushings, worn ball joints etc. I find electrical a PITA. That being said if you can bolt it on to fix it great. If you have to cut, weld and modify it will get expensive and demotivating quickly. If the body is solid, the frame and body mounts are solid, and all of the electrical systems work well you are off to a good start. For 20k it will need work. Interior parts can be expensive, the deluxe door panels I need are $400 and I have to transfer parts from the old panels.
Ask a lot of questions, request a lot of pictures, check prices to fix what you do not like, 20K is not an impulse buy.

- Dudley Field Malone