Camaro Forum at Firstgens.com

A Community of car guys and their Camaros Camaro restorartion camaro performance pro touring camaros drag racing camaros
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:06 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:30 am 

First Name: Richard
Anyone have any insite or opinion on this!?
I have a 67 RS 327 coupe in very original condition that has really newer been altered in any way.
No subframe connectors or any type of other mods.
Has a floor console 2 speed power glide.
Been toying with the thought of a 4 speed swap.
Any thoughts from anyone..
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:53 am 

First Name: Russ
There are a lot of parts involved in the swap but it is certainly doable. The hole in the tunnel is the same for a power glide and a 4 speed. I also have a 67 rs coupe in very original condition with its born with 327 and floor shifted power glide and I will not modify it other than possibly installing some 67 disc brakes. Having an all original car that has survived this long is getting harder to find. I like the originality so I am one side of the hobby as there are others who would want to modify the engine and transmission for a much more performance oriented car. If a 4 speed is what you want, it is all bolt on modifications so it would be easy to undo if you ever decided to or for resale. If I were going to change to a standard shift I would do some research on other transmissions with a 5 or 6 speed option for drivability on the highway with overdrive.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:57 pm 
Site Administrator

First Name: Jim
I did this a few years ago, first to a muncie 4 speed, then a couple years later to a tremac TKO 5 speed.

The muncie fits up in there just fine. Use the original crossmember. I had to shorten the driveshaft, just a bit, it almost fit.

Your 327-PG will have a straight bolt starter and small flexplate. You'll want to use a 10.5" clutch (10 spline disk to fit an early muncie) and a Nova bellhousing (they want a kings ransom for camaro bells, nova's are cheap and the same.)

Good luck and check back!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

JimM's firstgens.com Camaro Board
Firstgens on FaceBook