Camaro Forum at Firstgens.com

A Community of car guys and their Camaros Camaro restorartion camaro performance pro touring camaros drag racing camaros
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:29 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:48 am 

First Name: Joe
Greetings, all! I figured I'd start a build thread on my latest project. I dragged home to Colorado, from eastern Tennessee, a former drag car, which I will revert back to street duty (and a little track action). It appears a previous owner had stalled on this, so a lot of the work has been done, but there's WAY more work to go. As near as I can tell, it has RS/SS indications, but not 100% certain. The reverse lights in the lower tail and the hideaways scream true RS, and the SS horn button on the factory wheel are great to see, but it has manual drum brakes and power steering. My plan is to convert to disc but keep them manual (no booster), and convert it to manual steering. My engine of choice hasn't been finalized, but I still have time to choose. One of my buddies has a '68 396 in his garage that he will sell me, and I also have access to a 540 BBC. Either way, my plan is to top it off with an 8-71 blower, just to keep things interesting. :)

The previous owner had installed a Chris Alston back half, with ladder bars and coil overs. I'll likely keep the ladder bar/coil over set up, but will ditch the 10 bolt in there (not the original rear-previous owner said it was a 12 bolt). It's got 4.11s and a posi, but too small for the abuse I will expose it to. I have a 9 inch from my last 68 that I'm going to narrow, and fill the wheel tubs with as much rubber as I can squeeze in there. The previous owner had started to mini tub it, but stopped partway. With the Alston frame rails on 28" centers, it makes no sense to just mini tub it, so I've ordered a set of steel full tubs for it.

Updates to follow...

Attachments:
image3.JPG
image3.JPG [ 93.62 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]
image1.JPG
image1.JPG [ 112.82 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 42.51 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 35.86 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:14 pm 

Small update. I still haven't been able to hit my project full-steam, as I'm in the middle of repairing water damage to my basement. I have gotten a few things removed, and have assessed the condition of a few items. Chief among them are the doors. Since this was a former drag car, I suppose it should be easy to forgive the PO drilling out the door hinges and installing bolts/nuts for easier removal, but dang! Not their best work...

Attachments:
HingeBolts2.jpg
HingeBolts2.jpg [ 35.5 KiB | Viewed 100 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:08 am 

First Name: Mark
Can't wait for more updates. The pics look pretty nice, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:48 am 

Dimeo wrote:
Can't wait for more updates. The pics look pretty nice, thanks for sharing.

Thank you! Progress should ramp up here in the next couple of weeks. I'm almost finished with my basement project, and I've taken any free time to do little things to the car. Last weekend I finished up my wooden body cart, and got the body on it Sunday evening. Removed the rear differential to start measuring for the rear end narrowing. Still have to cut out a few pieces of floor that are interfering with the wheels/tires stuffing up there nicely, but it'll come. I borrowed a pair of Hoosier 31x16.5R15 Pro Streets on custom wheels from my dad, which will get me started. I still need to drag out the 9" I've had stored for years, so I'm getting real excited!