Camaro Forum at Firstgens.com

A Community of car guys and their Camaros Camaro restorartion camaro performance pro touring camaros drag racing camaros
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:48 am 

First Name: Joe
Greetings, all! I figured I'd start a build thread on my latest project. I dragged home to Colorado, from eastern Tennessee, a former drag car, which I will revert back to street duty (and a little track action). It appears a previous owner had stalled on this, so a lot of the work has been done, but there's WAY more work to go. As near as I can tell, it has RS/SS indications, but not 100% certain. The reverse lights in the lower tail and the hideaways scream true RS, and the SS horn button on the factory wheel are great to see, but it has manual drum brakes and power steering. My plan is to convert to disc but keep them manual (no booster), and convert it to manual steering. My engine of choice hasn't been finalized, but I still have time to choose. One of my buddies has a '68 396 in his garage that he will sell me, and I also have access to a 540 BBC. Either way, my plan is to top it off with an 8-71 blower, just to keep things interesting. :)

The previous owner had installed a Chris Alston back half, with ladder bars and coil overs. I'll likely keep the ladder bar/coil over set up, but will ditch the 10 bolt in there (not the original rear-previous owner said it was a 12 bolt). It's got 4.11s and a posi, but too small for the abuse I will expose it to. I have a 9 inch from my last 68 that I'm going to narrow, and fill the wheel tubs with as much rubber as I can squeeze in there. The previous owner had started to mini tub it, but stopped partway. With the Alston frame rails on 28" centers, it makes no sense to just mini tub it, so I've ordered a set of steel full tubs for it.

Updates to follow...

Attachments:
image3.JPG
image3.JPG [ 93.62 KiB | Viewed 3 times ]
image1.JPG
image1.JPG [ 112.82 KiB | Viewed 3 times ]
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 42.51 KiB | Viewed 3 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 35.86 KiB | Viewed 3 times ]