Camaro Forum at Firstgens.com

A Community of car guys and their Camaros Camaro restorartion camaro performance pro touring camaros drag racing camaros
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:51 am 

First Name: Ed
My 67 has a Powerglide coupled to a 2.73 rear diff. Nice having an original trans but the rebuilt 350 with headers cannot deliver the torque to the wheels with the original first year trans.

Next year am looking to upgrade to a Th 2004R (or something similar - looking for a bolt-on approach without modifying driveshaft length) with a 3.3 or better rear diff.

If you have done anything similar or have suggestions - it would be great to hear from you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:01 pm 
Global Moderator

First Name: Jeff
If you don't have a trans yet go with a 200 R4 The PG has a 1.76 first gear the ratio in the 200 are 2.74, 1.57, 1.00 and .67 . I forget what years have the better version of this trans but if you can score one out of a turbo Buick they will handle the V8. Not sure if you have to make a crossmember for this one but I'm sure you don't have to shorten the drive shaft.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:43 am 

Still in the planning and budgeting (saving up) phase but want to know in advance what my best options are so I can take advantage of interim deals or rebuilt transmissions. Would you pull an old one and rebuild it or go aftermarket (rebuilt) with warrantee?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:33 am 
Global Moderator

First Name: Jeff
My personal plan is to rebuild a trans that I already own with the help of a video I bought someplace. ( Eastwood?) I've done a couple of automatics successfully before so one for a car that will be rarely 100 miles from home I should be fine.

I would weigh the cost of a junkyard or used trans and the rebuild costs against the price of a rebuilt unit purchased out right. If you are having one rebuilt locally, Know your rebuilder so if you have any issues you will know how they get handled.

I'm working on my procrastination problem......

just wait and see!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:02 am 

Thanks Jeff - Might even consider getting 200 4R already professionally rebuilt (at least several major firms do this) with 2 year warrantee and have local mechanic install (no garage space at my house for this type of work). Was leaning toward the 200 4R so I did not have to mess with the drive shaft.

Any thoughts on shifters (would like to add some more bling to the interior)?